- Manufacturer: Molnlycke Health Care
- Product Name: Lyofoam® Polyurethane Foam Dressing
- Product Number: 603094
- Dimensions: 4" x 7" (10 x 17.5 cm)
- Packaging: 1 individually wrapped dressing*
*For additional savings, also offered for sale by the box of 10.
Note From MetroMedicalOnline's Customer Service Department:
It is important to always contact your physician and or wound specialist before starting any wound care therapy.
Additional Product Information as Provided by the Manufacturer:
Lyofoam is a polyurethane foam wound dressing used in the treatment of light to moderately exuding wounds such as leg ulcers, pressure sores, post-operative and traumatic wound sites, burns and skin grafts.
Lyofoam is a layer of polyurethane foam, heat-treated on one side to provide a smooth and hydrophilic absorbent wound-contact layer.
Lyofoam meets all the criteria for the ideal wound dressing: maintains moist wound micro-environment, removes excess exudate, permits gaseous exchange, provides thermal insulation, avoids trauma at dressing changes, is impermeable to micro-organisms and is free from particulate and toxic contaminants.
How Lyofoam Works
Lyofoam is a layer of polyurethane foam, heat treated on one side to provide a smooth, hydrophilic, absorbent wound contact layer.
Benefits of use
- Maintains the optimum wound environment for rapid healing
- Hydrophilic wound contact area absorbs exudate and allows fluid to evaporate, avoiding maceration
- Enables oxygen and carbon dioxide to diffuse freely across the wound surface, to help avoid anaerobic infection
- Does not allow newly-formed epithelium to penetrate, avoiding wound trauma during dressing changes
- Maintains a constant, optimal temperature over the wound
- Quick and easy to apply and remove
- Hydrophobic outer layer prevents ‘strike through' and reduces risk of secondary infection
Note: Natural rubber latex is not a constituent of Lyofoam or its packaging.
NOTE: Do not cover Lyofoam with occlusive films or tapes, as these reduce water vapour loss, which may impair the effectiveness of the dressing.
1. If the wound is sloughy or appears contaminated, first irrigate with normal saline (e.g. Steripod), preferably at body temperature. Dry the surrounding skin, leaving the wound surface moist. Avoid disturbing any newly-formed tissue at the edges and in the base of the wound.
2. Select a size of Lyofoam large enough to overlap the wound margins by 2–3cm. If necessary, cut to shape. Place the smooth, shiny side of the dressing directly over the wound surface.
3. For venous leg ulcers, retain Lyofoam with a suitable bandage, such as Setopress. For other applications, Lyofoam may be retained with adhesive tape or with a suitable dressing retention bandage, (e.g. Tubifast or Slinky).
Orders under $50 ship for a flat rate of $6.50. Orders over $50 ship for FREE!
Overnight or 2nd Day shipping is available on this item at an additional charge. View full Shipping and Delivery Policy.
This item will ship either UPS or USPS. Please provide a shipping address that can accept deliveries from either service.
Returns and Exchanges: You may return this item as long as it has been unopened and unused. Please carefully package your return to protect the product and the packaging. View Return Policy
While we cannot administer medical advice, our Customer Service Team members are available to assist you with the ordering of Mepilex Ag or other medical supplies. Our toll-free number is 1-866-774-9513 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm CST (7:00 am to 3:00 pm PST / 10:00 am to 6:00 pm EST). If you prefer to correspond by email, our address is CustomerService@MetroMedicalOnline.com.
The family of Lyofoam products include: Lyofoam, Lyofoam A, Lyofoam C, Lyofoam T, and Lyofoam Extra. Each type is offered in a variety of sizes to fit your specific requirements. Your physician should advise you regarding the type of secondary dressing to use, e.g., gauze rolls, gauze sponges, compression dressings, or a product such as Tubifast.
Lyofoam may be secured with an adhesive tape or with a suitable retention bandage such as Tubifast.
Tubifast 2-Way Stretch™ is a lightweight, tubular bandage that is used for dressing retention and skin covering on any part of the body. Tubifast bandages hold dressings securely, without constriction or compression.
Molynlycke's Mepitac is a soft silicone, fabric-backed tape that is ideal for patients with fragrile and sensitive skin. The Safetac layer assures secure fixation and gentle removal from skin and body hair.
Many of our customers have reported excellent results using Puracyn OTC (formerly named Microcyn OTC). Puracyn OTC is an innovative new approach to wound care promoting faster healing time. It is a non-irritating, pH-balanced wound cleanser for minor cuts, burns, irritations, and superficial abrasions of the skin.
After the wound has closed, proven scar treatments such as Cica-Care, Mepiform, or Kelo-Cote will improve the appearance of scars and prevent abnormal or excessive scar formation. Always consult your physician or wound care specialist before starting any wound care treatment program.