Note From MetroMedicalOnline's Customer Service Department:
It is important to always contact your physician or wound specialist before starting any wound care therapy.
Additional Information as Provided by the Manufacturer
Melgisorb® Ag is a highly absorbent, antimicrobial, alginate dressing. It consists of:
- Calcium alginate with a high guluronic acid and carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) content
- An ionic silver compound that provides a sustained antimicrobial effect for up to 21 days
Areas of Use:
Melgisorb Ag is suitable for moderate to heavily exuding infected wounds and cavity wounds, and wounds at risk of infection, such as:
- Moderate to heavily exuding partial to full thickness wounds
- Surgical wounds
- Trauma injuries
- Leg ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- Diabetic/neuropathic ulcers
- Graft and donor sites
- Under compression bandages
- Critically colonized wounds
This product can also be used under compression bandages. As the product contains alginate, it may assist in supporting the control of minor bleeding in superficial wounds. Melgisorb Ag may be used in the management of infected wounds or wounds in which there is an increased risk of infection under the medical supervision of a healthcare professional. Melgisorb Ag is indicated for external use only.
How Melgisorb Ag Works:
As wound exudate is absorbed, the alginate forms a gel, which aids autolytic debridement, whilst maintaining a moist environment for optimal wound healing. The gel ensures that the dressing can be easily removed, without causing damage to healing tissue.
The silver ions released in the presence of wound exudate are an effective antimicrobial agent against a broad spectrum of microorganisms frequently associated with the bacterial colonisation and infection of wounds, for up to twenty-one (21) days, based on in-vitro testing. Melgisorb Ag can also reduce the odour of infected wounds as a result of its effective antimicrobial properties.
Melgisorb Ag provides an effective barrier to penetration by microorganisms.
Benefits of Melgisorb AG
Melgisorb Ag combines the advantages of a calcium alginate dressing with the antimicrobial properties of silver.
- Absorbs up to 45% more than market leading silver hydrofiber dressing
- High fiber strength allows removal in one piece
- Rapid and sustained antimicrobial effect
- Sustained silver release up to 4 days.
Dressing change frequency will depend on wound condition and the level of exudate. Initially it may be necessary to change the dressing every 24 hours. If the wound appears dry, saturate the dressing with sterile saline solution prior to removal. Gently remove the dressing from the wound bed. Irrigate the wound site in accordance with standard protocols prior to application of a new dressing. Melgisorb Ag is indicated for external use only..
Melgisorb Ag is not indicated for use on the following:
- individuals with a known sensitivity to alginates or silver
- surgical implantation
- to control heavy bleeding
- for direct application on dry or lightly exuding wounds.
- The dressing may adhere if used on dry or very lightly exuding wounds. If the dressing does adhere and is not easily removed, moisten with sterile saline solution prior to removal.
- The dressing performance may be impaired by excess use of petroleum-based ointments.
- Avoid contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements, e.g. electrocardiograms (ECG) and electroencephalograms (EEG).
- The dressing must be removed prior to patients undergoing Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) examinations.
- In the event of clinical infection, topical silver does not replace the need for systemic therapy or other adequate infection treatment.
This Product Ships for FREE!
Overnight or 2nd Day shipping is available on this item at an additional charge. View full Shipping and Delivery Policy.
This item will ship either UPS or USPS. Please provide a shipping address that can accept deliveries from either service.
Returns and Exchanges: You may return this item as long as it has been unopened and unused. Please carefully package your return to protect the product and the packaging. View Return Policy
While we cannot administer medical advice, our Customer Service Team members are available to assist you with the ordering of wound care or other medical supplies. Our toll-free number is 1-866-774-9513 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm CST (7:00 am to 3:00 pm PST / 10:00 am to 6:00 pm EST). If you prefer to correspond by email, our address is CustomerService@MetroMedicalOnline.com.
Melgisorb Ag is available in five sizes: 2"x2", 4"x4", 6"x6", 8"x12", and 1.2"x 18". We also carry regular Melgisorb, which is a highly absorbent calcium alginate dressing without the silver.
MetroMedicalOnline offers high quality Pacifica Exam Gloves to be worn while cleaning the wound and changing dressings. After consulting your physician, products such as Blairex Sterile Wound Wash Saline or Sea-Clens are good options for wound cleansing. Many of our customers have reported excellent results using Puracyn Skin and Wound Cleanser OTC (formerly Microcyn OTC). Puracyn OTC is an innovative new approach to wound care promoting faster healing time. It is a non-irritating, pH-balanced wound cleanser for minor cuts, burns, irritations, and superficial abrasions of the skin.
After the wound has closed, proven scar treatments such as Cica-Care, Mepiform, or Kelo-Cote will improve the appearance of scars and prevent abnormal or excessive scar formation. Always consult your physician or wound care specialist before starting any wound care treatment program.
We also carry supplies for compression wrapping such as Comprilan, Elastoplast, and Jobst Cover-Roll.