ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressing is a calcium alginate dressing utilizing advanced silver technology to help create an optimal wound environment. The calcium alginate provides an antimicrobial barrier to help protect against bacterial contamination and infection of the wound. The material used in Acticoat Absorbent Dressing is made with a high wet and dry strength and the fibers are made with mannuronic acid. The cover of the dressing is made with a special nanocrystalline coating which gives it a antimicrobial barrier to help fight bacteria. Nanocrystalline silver kills bacteria faster than other forms of silver keeping the wound free of infection. Acticoat Absorbent Dressing is designed for wounds with moderate to heavy exudates that need the power of a calcium alginate.
- Easy to remove
- Conforms to wound contours
- Fast gelling, high mannuronic acid fibers
- Low fiber shed
- High wet and dry strength
- Soft and conformable
- The nanocrystalline coating of pure silver delivers antimicrobial barrier activity within 30 minutes - faster than other forms of silver.
- NUCRYST Pharmaceutical's antimicrobial technology is able to produce silver-coated hydrophilic polyurethane foams that can release an effective concentration of silver over several days. Thus, as silver ions are consumed, additional silver is released from the dressing to provide an effective antimicrobial barrier. This patented silver-based antimicrobial technology can be applied to a wide range of medical devices including wound dressings, certain types of catheters and various implants to prevent infection. This technology was first applied to burn wound dressings because burns present a very severe risk of infection.
ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressings deliver a fast-acting, long-lasting antimicrobial barrier which may assist in preventing contamination of the wound.
Laboratory studies show that ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressings kill micro-organisms faster than conventional products such as silver sulfadiazine (1 percent cream) or silver nitrate (0.5%) solution. It has also been shown in-vitro to provide protection against more than 150 pathogens. The pathogens tested in the lab include very resistant strains of bacteria such as antibiotic-resistant strains of Pseudomonas, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and fungi.
Easy to remove
When used in a moderate to highly exuding wound, the dressing forms a soft gel, which does not adhere to the delicate tissues in the wound bed. The dressing can be easily lifted out of the wound in one piece, or washed out with sterile water.
Conforms to wound contours
ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressings are very soft and conformable, allowing them to be molded, folded or cut to meet a wide range of wound shapes and sizes. As the fibers gel, an even more intimate contact with the wound is produced and maintained.
Less fiber shed
All fiber-based alginates release fibers when handled, however the advanced bonding technique employed in ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressings greatly reduces fiber release.
Moist wound environment
The production of a gel by the action of exudate on the alginate fibers creates a moist wound environment at the wound surface. This helps prevent eschar formation and promotes an optimal moist wound environment. The dressing allows wound contraction to occur, which may help reduce scarring and also allows gaseous exchange necessary for a healthy wound bed.
Highly absorbent and cost-effective
In-vitro studies have shown that ACTICOAT Absorbent Dressings can absorb many times their own weight in exudate. This allows the dressing to remain in the wound for up to 3 days, depending on the nature of the wound and the volume of exudate. The sustained release of silver also means fewer dressing changes, resulting in less exposure of the wound bed to the environment.
ACTICOAT Absorbent (with SILCRYST™ Nanocrystals) Antimicrobial Barrier Dressing is an effective barrier to bacterial penetration. The barrier functions of the dressing may help reduce infection in moderately to heavily exuding partial and full-thickness wounds including decubitus ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, surgical wounds, first- and second-degree burns, grafts and donor sites.
- Ensure that the packing in cavities, sinuses etc. has been removed.
- The dressing may adhere if used on very lightly exuding wounds. If the dressing is not easily removed, moisten it with sterile water, then remove.
- Do not use on patients with a known allergy to alginates.
Orders under $50 ship for flat fee of $6.50. All Orders Over $50 Ship For FREE!
Overnight or 2nd Day shipping is available on this item at an additional charge. View full Shipping and Delivery Policy.
This item will ship either UPS or USPS. Please provide a shipping address that can accept deliveries from either service.
Returns and Exchanges: You may return this item as long as it has been unopened and unused. Please carefully package your return to protect the product and the packaging. View Return Policy
While we cannot administer medical advice, our Customer Service Team members are available to assist you with the ordering of wound care or other medical supplies. Our toll-free number is 1-866-774-9513 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm CST (7:00 am to 3:00 pm PST / 10:00 am to 6:00 pm EST). If you prefer to correspond by email, our address is Customerservice@metromedicalonline.com.