- Manufacturer: Battle Creek Equipment
- Product Name: Thermophore Original Automatic Moist Heat Pack - Medium
- Product Number: 056
- Dimensions: 14" x 14"
- Watts: 75 watts
- Maximum Temp: 176°F* (if switch is "ON" constantly)
- Packaging: One per box
*Thermophore Heat Packs have one temperature setting
Additional Information From The Manufacturer:
Thermophore® Original Automatic Moist Heat Pack™ - Medium
The Thermophore heating pad in the 14" x 14" size is specifically designed for smaller areas such as a shoulder, knee or part of the abdomen. The Medium unit is often a perfect fit for the back or hip of some of our smaller, more petite users, and many customers prefer this size to take along when they travel.
Original™ Thermophore® Automatic Moist Heat Pack™ is designed with a special hand-held switch. Just press for heat, release to cool and alternate as often as you like. If you happen to doze off and your hand relaxes, the unit will cool as a safety feature.
Thermophore® Moist Heat Therapy
Doctors and physical therapists know that the intense, penetrating moist heat of Thermophore® brand products is a convenient, effective way to give patients hours of soothing relief. Having a Thermophore® of your own, to use at the first sign of pain, muscle spasm or stiffness, can often let you treat a minor problem before it has a chance to worsen and require professional attention.
When you have an arthritic condition, injury, back pain or muscle spasm - any type of pain at all - it affects everything you do. Our Thermophore® products provide the convenience of professional quality heat therapy - on demand, to significantly improve your ability to manage your own pain. Nothing to add, no unpredictable microwave bags or smelly creams. Just press the switch and relax, as the soothing heat begins to relieve your pain.
The Original™ Thermophore® Automatic Moist Heat Pack™ provides the intense moist heat you need, with no need to add any water!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why doesn't the Thermophore® Pack have a switch with lower heat settings?
The first thing many users notice is that our units do not have the typical "low/medium/high" temperature settings. The Thermophore® is so effective because it gets much hotter, and heats much more quickly, than ordinary heating pads; it would not provide such effective moist heat therapy at significantly lower temperatures.
To be most effective, moist heat therapy must be intensely hot and alternate with periods of cooling. For best results, the painful tissues need to be heated enough to greatly increase the circulation of blood, reduce inflammation and relieve muscle spasm.
Where does the moisture come from?
Each Thermophore® unit has a specially woven fleece cover. Between uses, this cover traps moisture from the atmosphere in the air spaces between the textile strands. Although the fabric does not feel wet, the application of quick, intense heat will generate this moisture into water vapor to increase the benefit of heat therapy. When activated, the Thermophore® heating unit becomes intensely hot very quickly. Through what is known as "hygroscopic action", the moisture moves away from the source of heat to the cooler body tissue. When properly applied, a light layer of moisture is produced between the Thermophore® unit and the body, to allow a deeper, more effective transfer of heat into painful areas.
Why is the Thermophore® Pack so much heavier than ordinary heating pads?
To relieve aches and pains, it is necessary for the heat to effectively transfer deeply into body tissues. To make the Thermophore® pack more efficient, we have positioned weights to cause the Thermophore® pack to conform to body contours. This reduces air spaces between the Thermophore® hot pack and body, so more heat is transmitted to the body tissues. Ordinary stiff plastic heating pads leave air pockets, which result in uneven transfer of heat.
Can I use the Thermophore® over my clothing?
We recommend using the Thermophore® directly on the skin, if possible, so that the moist heat can penetrate most effectively and deeply into the tissue. Using it over pajamas or a shirt will also work if that is more convenient for you. Metal buttons, clips or buckles on clothing under the Thermophore® may become quite hot, and should not be allowed to contact skin directly until they have had a chance to cool. We recommend that you do not lay on top of a Thermophore®, because it will reduce the effectiveness of your moist heat therapy and may damage the components inside your Thermophore®.
- Professional-quality intense moist heat can also be used at home for therapy any time of the day or night.
- Thermophore® is the brand most often used and recommended by doctors, physical therapists, and other medical professionals.
- Unique design produces moisture from the atmosphere, with no need for you to add anything or deal with cold, drippy sponges.
- Moisture helps the intense heat penetrate even more deeply – relieving pain, relaxing muscle spasm and increasing rejuvenating circulation.
Important Safety Instructions
To reduce the risk of burns, electric shock and fire, this product must be used in accordance with the following instructions:
1. Read and follow all instructions in the instruction booklet, on the box and on the pad.
2. Do not use while sleeping.
3. Do not use on an infant.
4. This pad is not to be used on or by an invalid, paralyzed person, sleeping or unconcious person, or a person with poor blood circulation unless carefully attended.
5. Do not use on areas of insensative skin
6. Burns can occur regardless of control setting, check skin under pad frequently.
7. Never use pad without cover in place.
8. Do not use pins or other metallic means to fasten this pad in place.
9. Do not sit on or crush pad - avoid sharp folds.
10. Never pull this pad by the supply cord. Do not use the cord as a handle. Loop cord loosely when storing. Tight wraping may damage cord and internal parts.
11. Carefully examine inner cover before each use. Discard the pad if inner covering shows any sign of deterioration.
12. This unit is not designed for use in conjunction with any type of massage apparatus. Such use may cause hazardous damage to internal components and will void the warranty.
Warning - Use your Thermophore® carefully. For it to work properly, it must be capable of becoming very hot. Please stay alert. Do not use over insensitive skin or in the presence of poor circulation. Person with diabetes should be especially careful when applying heat. Those who are incapacitated should be closely supervised in their use of Thermophore® and should not be left unattended. Do not use a Thermophore® as a bedwarmer or footwarmer. It gets too hot to be used for this purpose. Do not use your Thermophore® on animals or small children.
This item ships for FREE!
Due to the nature of this product and our adherence to strict safety precautions, this product is NOT returnable unless it is unopened and has not been tampered with in any way. View Return Policy.
This item will typically ship via USPS when shipped alone.
While we cannot administer medical advice, our Customer Service Team members are available to assist you with the ordering of your medical supplies. Our toll-free number is 1-866-774-9513 - Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm CST (7:00 am to 3:00 PST / 10:00 am to 6:00 pm EST). If you prefer to correspond by email, our address is CustomerService@MetroMedicalOnline.com.
Thermophore heating pads are available in three sizes: 14"x27", 14"x14", and the 4" x 17" size for the neck. Many doctors recommend a combination of hot and cold therapy. For cold therapy, please take a look at our wide selection of ColPac products.
Orthogel is considered a superior replacement to Biofreeze. Orthogel is very similar to Biofreeze and contains comparable ingredients with some added vitamins and minerals.
FLA Therall products provide relief for arthritis, overuse or repetitive use injuries and mild strains. Use with the Therall™ Therapeutic Heat Patch (sold separately) for over 12 hours of soothing heat therapy.